Registration System Software Developer
This vital role is essential to the smooth running and management of the Essex International Jamboree.
The description below provides an overview however if you have further questions please do not hesitate to email the team.
The Registration System Software Developer will responsible for:
- Delivering the online booking system for participants, staff, and contractors
- Accurate and secure data records and reports
- Develop, maintain, and support the Jamboree event booking system. Some planning and requirements gathering meetings beforehand, but generally starting development 15 months before the event until a week or 2 after it (roughly May 2019-August 2020)
- Ability to deliver working system on time to specific deadlines. The busiest times are preparing for initial staff signup (July-August 2019), Phase 1 to go live (September 2019), Phase 2 go live (March 2020), Phase 2 completion (April-June 2020), and then the week before the event and at the event.
- Produce accurate reports and statistics from the registration data
- Attend the event (1-8 August 2020), and some of build week (29-31 July 2020)
- Attend various planning meetings as needed
- Provide online and offline training for all users of the system
- Help with other related tasks and systems (responding to emails, EIJ website, help desk, mailchimp, Google admin)
- Be a member of either Girlguiding or the Scout Association
- Hold an enhanced DBS (Disclosures & Barring Service) check and ensure it is valid for EIJ 2020
- Experience of full stack web development using Django (Python). Currently use Python 3, Django 1.8 (which was the LTS version at time of the last Jamboree), PostgreSQL, fabric, django-allauth, django-tables2, django-post-office, django-bootstrap3 amongst various other django plugins. As the system is only used every 4 years these all need updating to latest versions for feature and security fixes.
- Git version control
- Organise development using Trello, Google sheets, email, etc
- DevOps / deployment of the project as needed using Virtual Servers (linode), Ubuntu LTS, nginx, gunicorn, LetsEncrypt, cron
- Experience of best practices for mass email, integration with external email systems (mailchimp, sendgrid, google groups, etc)
- Integration with Google sheets and Google APIs
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Respond to emails in a timely manner
- Experience or interest in information security and adherence to new GDPR rules
- Comfortable working in a very small team in a relatively high stress role
- Experience in extensively testing your own code before deployment
- Share knowledge and good practices in the team and beyond
In order to apply for this role, please complete this application form highlighting your interest in the role ‘Registration system software developer’.