EIJ Media Team Apprentice
We are looking for an enthusiastic young adult volunteer media team apprentice to work alongside the two External Media Team Leaders at EIJ 2020. This role will be an on-the-job experience and you will have the opportunity to help plan and pitch stories prior to the event. From the start of the event you will work closely with the two External Media Team Leaders learning new media skills whilst working with journalists and broadcasters.
This short term appointment will provide you with valuable media management skills designed to enable you to support your Guiding or Scouting communications teams and also consider a media relations career.
Why join the media team?
The media team at EIJ has been proven to achieve great things from one big tent. In 2016 we produced a daily newspaper, ran a social media channel, broadcast a radio station, shot and developed group photos, filmed, edited and produced a Jamboree DVD and invited the local and national media – all from one campsite near Chelmsford. It’ll be fast-paced, exciting and challenging, but you’ll gain professional experience on-site at the UK’s largest Jamboree.
Getting national and regional media to the campsite to cover the event in newspaper, TV, radio and online reports.
- Sourcing exciting people and stories from around the Jamboree to introduce to the media, showing them just how incredible this event is;
- Escort members of the press around the site safely, making sure they are fed, watered and meet some Scouts and Guides along the way;
- Help to plan and distribute press releases to the media and make sure that they have all the information they need both before and during their visit.
- Ensure that all journalists and broadcasters are escorted around the site safely;
- Ensure that they collect good positive content;
- Ensure that they are fed, water and provided with a full event brief;
- Identify and brief suitable participants prior to arrival of any journalists and broadcasters;
- Ensure that journalists and broadcasters have the opportunity to meet these participants.
- Be a member of either Girlguiding or The Scout Association;
- Hold an enhanced DBS (Disclosures & Barring Service) check and ensure it is valid for EIJ 2020;
- Be over the age of 18 at the start of the event.